1. this nars blush in “outlaw” is my #1 beauty pick for october. the photo doesn’t do the shade justice. even though i have cool undertones, the gold shimmer and rosy colouring is natural looking on my skin, giving my cheeks the perfect flushed look. the blush itself stays put all day and the colour is so deep and rich for fall.
2. lush’s mask of magnaminty. this mask has done wonders for my skin, and although it is a deep-cleansing mask, it’s not drying. plus, this mask is such a treat to apply; i simply put my feet up, sip some tea and after 10 minutes, gently remove. this mask leaves my face tingling and cool, and is fun to do with friends during a girl’s night in!
3. jergens natural glow is my glow-to (hehe) all year round. keep in mind, this moisturizer is not quite a self-tanner, but it does the job to keep my limbs from looking like casper. plus, jergens has changed up the formula recently and the smell is much improved.. no funky tanning cream odour.
4. this nars dual-intensity eyeshadow in “andromeda” is my current favourite. the colour is so pigmented and it looks amazing when placed just below the brow bone. i also pop some in the corners of my eyes & cupid’s bow to add some extra pizazz.
5. mom and i were shopping around for nail polish the other day and we came across this essie gem… the colour is “penny talk” and that’s basically what it looks like – a very shiny penny! this colour is a nice alternative to the vampy dark shades that are always popular this time of year. added bonus – the polish is super pigmented so you can get away with applying just one coat.
6. i always found the baby lips lip balm by maybelline to be very drying, so i stopped buying them. however, when i saw this new formula, i thought i’d try it again. i’m now a huge fan. the baby lips dr. rescue lip balm is moisturizing and cooling, with a hint of eucalyptus. i’ve only tried the clear shade, but there are six tinted balms available as well!
7. i’ve been watching a lot of youtube makeup tutorials lately. like, a lot. and these anastasia beverly hills palettes have been getting a ton of airtime. i went to sephora to see what the fuss was about. this tamanna palette is definitely worth the fuss. the shadows are so pigmented and the majority of colours are appropriate for every day wear.
8. last but certainly not least – this nyx jumbo lipstick pencil in “pecan”. this is the perfect shade for fall, especially if you want to try a toned down version of the infamous kylie jenner lip. the product is creamy, the colour is rich, and it lasts SO long! for $4, it’s a steal.
i want to know – what are your beauty must-haves?
Happy Monday, my loves!
I thought I’d fill you in on my new bag obsession – the cross-body bag. I have always used bigger purses with short straps, which I awkwardly carry on my forearm. I’m beginning to think I may one day end up with carpal tunnel, and so I’ve started looking around for more practical – but stylish – bag options.
good morning, my darlings! today, i’m talking about about one of my favorite fall staples – the classic cozy sweater. i love the versatility of such a simple piece, and i always have a few sweaters on rotation for each season. the fun really happens once autumn hits; layering is essential for warmth, and accessorizing is a must for style purposes!
Étoile Isabel Marant Plaid Collared Shirt, 285 CAD / J Crew White Collared Shirt, 98 CAD / Uniqlo Sweater, 89 CAD / Topshop Blue Collared Shirt, 71 CAD / Lulu Frost Necklace, 635 CAD / Ettika Hamsa Necklace, 68 CAD / Look By M Wool Plaid Infinity Scarf, 37 CAD
there are so many ways to wear a classic knit sweater (i love this one from uniqlo, but you can find something similar almost anywhere). continue reading for some tips to looking polished, while staying toasty.
i would recommend a light-weight sweater for the office (i.e. cashmere, a light cable knit, etc). try to stay away from a chunky knit; the volume and texture can come off as too casual in a corporate setting. you can either wear the sweater on its own, or layer with a crisp white collared shirt underneath. complete the look with a long, delicate pendant necklace.
ease into the “canadian tuxedo” trend: wear your sweater over a light-wash denim shirt, while rocking a dark-wash denim skinny jean. let the tails hang out below the hem of the sweater and pop the collar. i like to pull up my sweater sleeves and show off the cuff if at all possible. you can wear this look with flats, heels or a cute pair of booties. on a cooler day, throw on a scarf! i love accessorizing with scarves. one simple piece can pull the colours in your outfit together in a no-fuss way.
time to have fun with this look. first, pull out a plaid or patterned collared shirt and layer under your knit sweater. rock this look with some leather leggings, a skinny jean, or a form-fitting skirt. be creative! next, accessorize. wearing a statement necklace instantly dresses up your outfit. last but not least, throw on a pair of your sexiest heels. voilà! you’re ready for a night on the town.
i love my shoulders. i love the way i feel when i am wearing a top that slips down, off of my shoulder, exposing my neckline, but leaving the other, more womanly parts yet to be revealed. there is something so empowering about feeling confident and powerful. these five looks from new york fashion week had me swooning. sexy, understated and classic. this shoulder-baring trend is definitely my current favorite.
what is your favorite body part?
“sexiness should not be overt. something shapeless that drapes across your hip, hangs off the shoulder; something that cowls in the front, drapes low in the back, that’s sexy.”
- rachel zoe
top to bottom: marchesa, rosie assoulin, zac posen, jenny packham, oscar de la renta
HELLO to all my lovelies! As you have probably noticed, it’s been over a year since my last post. Life got in the way and blogging was put on the back burner. But fear not. I have big plans in motion and I’m full of inspiration.
One of my favourite things to do when putting outfits together is to pair unexpected items with each other. This gorgeous knit polo by J W Anderson has prim & proper potential if worn with some black wool trousers, but ta-da! Paired with these J.Crew boyfriend jeans, the outfit is edgy, fun and seemingly more casual. I have an obsession with mules at the moment. These Cole Haan black cork slides work perfectly with this ensemble and add an element of finesse to the look. And since I haven’t given up on summer yet, I threw some cute tortoise sunnies and a straw tote bag into the mix.
So there you have it. A perfect outfit for a perfect Saturday afternoon. Try mixing two unexpected items in your wardrobe! Pick something super casual and wear it with something more dressy. You may be surprised with what you come up with.
PS. Does anyone remember the collaboration Starbucks did with fashion label Rodarte? I was all over this to-go mug when it was released a few years ago. Today, I filled this bad boy with some ice water & lemon wedges and took it with me on a leisurely stroll. Fashionable and practical!
i’m going through a huge boyfriend jeans/stiletto phase right now. and yes, i am tiring the heck out of the baseball cap trend but i don’t care. i like my head much better when it’s covered by a hat.
i met nick thiessen at a photo shoot earlier this year, and immediately recognized a talent i wanted to work with. when the opportunity came along to style a shoot for him, i didn’t hesitate.
nick is an amazing photographer with an eye for the perfect shot. we had such a good time joining forces to bring back grunge, along with hilary rhoda look-a-like, danielle flasha. i’ve been obsessing over editorials from the 90’s grunge era, and wanted so badly to recreate it. with the help of abbotsford’s seediest backdrops and a steady drizzle of rain, nick took some amazing shots.